Sunday, February 04, 2007

Apple Maple Bran Muffins


I am not a muffin fan. Nor am I a muffin connoisseur. So don't take my word for it when I say these muffins are acceptable - because I don't have a clue. I do like the rich and sweet flavor. I also like the moistness. But, to me, the muffins also taste the exactly the same as the gooey batter that I put in the muffin tin before baking, which manages to hold together after being cooked. So if anyone has suggestions or recipes for knock-off-your-pants-fabulous (take that however you want) vegan bran muffins (that a 5 year old would also eat) I would appreciate them.

I started experimenting with bran muffins for the sake of my 5 year old, who, well, let's just say that after a trip to the doctor I increased her fiber intake by as much as I could. I tried several types. But this recipe is the favorite so far.

2 tbsp vegan margarine
2 cups apple sauce, sweetened or unsweetened
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 apple, peeled and diced
1 cup unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups oat bran
3 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin pan.

In a large saucepan heat the margarine and applesauce together over medium heat until the margarine is just melted. Remove from heat, stir in molasses and maple syrup. Set aside. Combine the dry ingredients. Add the diced apple and wet ingredients, stir quickly to moisten, and pour the batter into the muffin pan.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I'm also on the search for the best vegan bran muffin. I have embarked upon this quest because of a bran muffin I had in Albuquerque. At the Co-op in Nob Hill (I forget the name), in the deli case they sell vegan muffins, among them is bran. They are hands-down the best muffins I've ever had! Now I'm seeking out how to replicate them since I don't live there... Until this holy grail is uncovered, you can buy some truly tasty muffins.